You may also like
Shifting the Balance, Grades K-2
9781625315106Regular price $43.34 Sale price $32.50 Save $10.84
This best-selling guide is concise and practical, integrating effective reading strategies from each perspective. Every chapter of Shifting the Balance, Grades K-2 focuses on one of the six simple and scientifically sound shifts reading teachers can make to strengthen their approach to early reading instruction in these areas:
- Reading Comprehension
- Phonemic Awareness
- High-Frequency Words
- Cueing Systems
- Text Selection
Practical Instruction for Primary Grades: Whether your students are just learning to read or building more advanced reading comprehensive skills, Shifting the Balance, K-2 is designed to help teachers meet the instructional needs of K-2 students.
Six Manageable Shifts: Each chapter focuses on a key shift that helps educators understand common misconceptions and adjust their thinking around some common instructional practices that teachers have been using for decades.
Evidence-Based Instruction: Burkins and Yates offer busy educators a blueprint for integrating finding from brain research, cognitive science, and child development into their daily instruction, while keeping meaningful experiences with books a priority.
Classroom Applications: Shifting the Balance, K-2 is full of sample activities and classroom vignettes that paint a picture of what these shifts look like in action with roomful of learners.
The book has already helped countless educators by taking the guesswork out of how to blend best practices with the latest research while keeping students at the forefront of reading instruction. "We've written this book to support you in making sound decisions anchored in the best of science, the truth of responsiveness, and a relentless focus on providing all children learning experiences saturated with meaning," the authors write.
9781625312730Regular price $39.33 Sale price $29.50 Save $9.83
In Brain Words: How the Science of Reading Informs Teaching, authors J. Richard Gentry and Gene Ouellette, bring their original, research-based framework of “brain words”—dictionaries in the brain where students store and automatically access sounds, spellings, and meaning. This book aims to fill the gap between the science of reading and classroom instruction by providing up-to-date knowledge about reading and neurological circuitry, including evidence that spelling is at the core of the reading brain.
Brain Words will show how children’s brains develop as they become readers and discover ways you can take concrete steps to promote this critical developmental passage, including:
- Incorporating tools to recognize what works, what doesn’t, and why
- Practical classroom activities for daily teaching and student assessment
- Insights about what brain research tells us about whole language and phonics-first movements
- Deepened understanding of dyslexia through the enhanced lens of brain science
With the insights and strategies of Brain Words, you can meet your students where they are and ensure they gain confidence as readers, spellers, and writers.
The Art of Comprehension
9781625311689Regular price $38.00 Sale price $28.50 Save $9.50
—From the forward by Dr. Mary Howard
In The Art of Comprehension: Exploring Visual Texts to Foster Comprehension, Conversation, and Confidence, Trevor A. Bryan introduces his signature method for enhancing students’ understanding and thinking about all texts—both written and visual. By using what he calls “access lenses” (such as faces, body language, sound/silence) you can prompt all your students to became active explorers and meaning-makers. Organically and spontaneously, your classroom will become more student-centered.
- Discover inventive ways to prompt students to notice, think about, and synthesize visuals—using the same observation and comprehension skills they can bring to reading and writing
- Learn about ways to unravel layers of meaning in picture books, chapter books, artwork, poetry, and informational text
- Explore the book’s eclectic collection of art and illustration, by acclaimed illustrator Peter H. Reynolds, 19th century masters, and more.
Bryan’s approach allows all students to engage meaningfully with texts and join the classroom conversation. With this comes the greatest reward of all: confidence and independence for all kinds of learners.
Patterns of Wonder, Grades PreK-1
9781625314505Regular price $77.33 Sale price $58.00 Save $19.33
The book comes with standards-aligned lessons that can be incorporated in just 10 minutes a day. Patterns of Wonder’s responsive, invitational approach allows young students to play and inquire about language and experiment, take risks, and have fun.
Inside you’ll find:
- Ready-to-use lesson plan sets that pinpoint and build across the most common needs of emergent writers
- An adjusted invitational process adapted for young learners, and the Phases of Emergent Writing as tools to plan for effective, scaffolded instruction
- How to position grammar concepts about print instruction across three overlapping levels of support: oral language, illustrating, and writing
- Over 200 engaging picture book recommendations to stir curious classroom conversations
Patterns of Wonder, Grades PreK-1 provides a simple classroom routine that is structured in length and approach, but provides teachers flexibility in choosing the texts, allowing for numerous, diverse voices in the classroom. The practice helps students build cognitive recognition and provides a formative assessment for teachers on student progress. Grounded in play, conversation, and most of all, wonder, Patterns of Wonder brings the authors’ irrepressible excitement for inquiry and writing instruction to the ways we support our Pre-K, Kindergarten and 1st grade emergent writers.
The Patterns of Power series also includes Patterns of Power, Grades 6-8: Inviting Adolescent Writers into the Conventions of Language; Patterns of Power, Grades 1-5: Inviting Young Writers into the Conventions of Language; Patterns of Power, Grades 9-12: Teaching Grammar Through Reading and Writing; and Patterns of Power en Español. Grades 1-5: Inviting Bilingual Writers into the Conventions of Spanish.
Welcome to Writing Workshop
9781625311665Regular price $40.66 Sale price $30.50 Save $10.16
• Both students and teachers are working authors
• Students spend most of their time writing—not just learning about it
• Student choice is encouraged to help create engaged writers, not compliant ones
• Students are part of the formative assessment process
• Students will look forward to writing time—not dread it.
From explanations of writing process and writing traits to small-group strategy lessons and mini-lessons, this book will provide the know-how to feel confident and comfortable in the teaching of writers.