You may also like
Write Like This
9781571108968Regular price $35.34 Sale price $26.50 Save $8.84
In Write Like This: Teaching Real World Writing Through Modeling and Mentor Texts, author and teacher Kelly Gallagher recognizes that writing well starts with teaching students WHY they should write. He believes we need to move beyond the state standards by introducing young writers to real-world discourses and provide them with authentic texts to influence and develop life-long skills.
Each chapter focuses on a specific writing purpose:
- Express and Reflect: View life experiences in reverse to move forward
- Inform and Explain: State a point and purpose with information to support it
- Evaluate and Judge: Focus on the worth of an object, idea, or person and present it as “bad” or “good”
- Inquire and Explore: Propose a problem or question
- Analyze and Interpret: Examine phenomena that are difficult to understand or explain
- Take a Stand/Propose a Solution: Persuade audience to particular position and provide justification
In teaching these lessons, Gallagher provides mentor texts (professional samples as well as models he has written in front of his students), student writing samples, and numerous assignments and strategies proven to elevate student writing.
By helping teachers bring effective modeling practices into their classrooms, Write Like This enables students to become better adolescent writers. More important, the practices found in this book will help our students develop the writing skills they will need to become adult writers in the real world.
In the Best Interest of Students
9781625310446Regular price $35.34 Sale price $26.50 Save $8.84
Instead of blindly adhering to the latest standards movement, Gallagher suggests:
- Increasing the amount of reading and writing students are doing while giving students more choice around those activities
- Balancing rigorous, high-quality literature and non-fiction works with student-selected titles
- Encouraging readers to deepen their comprehension by moving beyond the “four corners of the text”
- Planning lessons that move beyond Common Core expectations to help young writers achieve more authenticity through the blending of genres
- Using modeling to enrich students’ writing skills in the prewriting, drafting, and revision stages
- Resisting the de-emphasis of narrative and imaginative reading and writing
Amid the frenzy of trying to teach to a new set of standards, Kelly Gallagher is a strong voice of reason, reminding us that instruction should be anchored around one guiding question: What is in the best interest of our students?
9781571107800Regular price $33.33 Sale price $25.00 Save $8.33
- Valuing standardized testing over the development of lifelong readers
- Mandating breadth over depth in instruction
- Requiring students to read difficult texts without proper instructional support and insisting students focus on academic texts
- Ignoring the importance of developing recreational reading
- Losing sight of authentic instruction in the looming shadow of political pressures
9781571103840Regular price $34.67 Sale price $26.00 Save $8.67
Do your students often struggle with difficult novels and other challenging texts? Do you feel that you are doing more work teaching the novel than they are reading it?
Building on twenty years of teaching language arts, Kelly Gallagher shows how students can be taught to successfully read a broad range of challenging and difficult texts with deeper levels of comprehension. In Deeper Reading: Comprehending Challenging Texts, 4-12, he shares effective, classroom-tested strategies that enable your students to:
- Accept the challenge of reading difficult books and move beyond a "first draft" understanding
- Consciously monitor their comprehension as they read and employ effective "fix-it" strategies when comprehension starts to falter
- Use meaningful collaboration and metaphorical thinking to achieve deeper understanding of texts
- Reflect on the relevance the book holds for themselves and their peers by using critical thinking skills to analyze real-world issues
Gallagher also provides guidance on effective lesson planning that incorporates strategies for deeper reading.
Funny, poignant, and packed with practical ideas that work in real classrooms, Deeper Reading is a valuable resource for any teacher whose students need new tools to uncover the riches found in complex texts.
Teaching Adolescent Writers
9781571104229Regular price $34.67 Sale price $26.00 Save $8.67
In an increasingly demanding world of literacy, it has become critical that students know how to write effectively. From the requirements of standardized tests to those of the wired workplace, the ability to write well, once a luxury, has become a necessity. Many students are leaving school without the necessary writing practice and skills needed to compete in a complex and fast-moving Information Age. Unless we teach them how to run with it, they are in danger of being run over by a stampede—a literacy stampede.
InTeaching Adolescent Writers, Kelly Gallagher shows how students can be taught to write effectively. Gallagher shares a number of classroom-tested strategies that enable teachers to:
- Understand the importance of teaching writing and how to motivate young writers
- Show how modeling from both the teacher and real-world texts builds young writers
- Provide choice of what to write, which helps elevate adolescent writing, and how to fit it into a rigorous curriculum
- Help students recognize the importance of purpose and audience
- Assess essays in ways that drive better writing performance.
Infused with humor and illuminating anecdotes, Gallagher draws on his classroom experiences and work as co-director of a regional writing project to offer teachers both practical ways to incorporate writing instruction into their day and compelling reasons to do so.