You may also like
Open Middle Math
9781625311740Regular price $34.66 Sale price $26.00 Save $8.66
"This book is an amazing resource for teachers who are struggling to help students develop both procedural fluency and conceptual understanding..."
--Dr. Margaret (Peg) Smith, co-author of 5 Practices for Orchestrating Productive Mathematical Discussions
Robert Kaplinsky, the co-creator of Open Middle math problems, brings his new class of tasks designed to stimulate deeper thinking and lively discussion among middle and high school students in Open Middle Math: Problems That Unlock Student Thinking, Grades 6-12. The problems are characterized by a “closed beginning,” meaning all students start with the same initial problem, and a “closed end,” meaning there is only one correct or optimal answer. The key is that the middle is “open” in the sense that there are multiple ways to approach and ultimately solve the problem. These tasks have proven enormously popular with teachers looking to assess and deepen student understanding, build student stamina, and energize their classrooms.
- Professional Learning Resource for Teachers: Open Middle Math is an indispensable resource for educators interested in teaching student-centered mathematics in middle and high schools consistent with the national and state standards
- Sample Problems at Each Grade: The book demonstrates the Open Middle concept with sample problems ranging from dividing fractions at 6th grade to algebra, trigonometry, and calculus
- Teaching Tips for Student-Centered Math Classrooms: Kaplinsky shares guidance on choosing problems, designing your own math problems, and teaching for multiple purposes, including formative assessment, identifying misconceptions, procedural fluency, and conceptual understanding
- Adaptable and Accessible Math: The tasks can be solved using various strategies at different levels of sophistication, which means all students can access the problems and participate in the conversation
Becoming the Math Teacher You Wish You'd Had
9781571109965Regular price $58.00 Sale price $43.50 Save $14.50
- How to Teach Student-Centered Mathematics: Zager outlines a problem-solving approach to mathematics for elementary and middle school educators looking for new ways to inspire student learning
- Big Ideas, Practical Application: This math book contains dozens of practical and accessible teaching techniques that focus on fundamental math concepts, including strategies that simulate connection of big ideas; rich tasks that encourage students to wonder, generalize, hypothesize, and persevere; and routines to teach students how to collaborate
- Key Topics for Elementary and Middle School Teachers: Becoming the Math Teacher You Wish You'd Had offers fresh perspectives on common challenges, from formative assessment to classroom management for elementary and middle school teachers
No matter what level of math class you teach, Zager will coach you along chapter by chapter. All teachers can move towards increasingly authentic and delightful mathematics teaching and learning. This important book helps develop instructional techniques that will make the math classes we teach so much better than the math classes we took.
Choral Counting & Counting Collections
9781625311092Regular price $43.34 Sale price $32.50 Save $10.84
- PreK – Grade 5 Counting Activities: Choral Counting & Counting Collections brings new depth and dimension to two foundational features of the elementary school curriculum consistent with national and state standards. The book is organized by grade-level bands
- Choral Counting: Choral Counting involves the teacher leading students in counting aloud together followed by a lively discussion of patterns they notice in the number sequence
- Counting Collections: In Counting Collections, students figure out how many items are in a collection of fun objects then come up with a way to record their strategy
- New Strategies for Elementary Math: Choral Counting & Counting Collections demonstrates how to facilitate open-ended counting activities to deepen children's number sense as part of an approach to teaching student-centric mathematics
- Benefits of Counting Activities: Counting activities can product both social and academic benefits and can help teachers engage with families to build on students' mathematical thinking
The authors have collected the wisdom of math teachers and researchers across the country who explore activities that are both playful and intentional, simple and sophisticated. If you're looking for ways to bring new energy into your math instruction, Choral Counting & Counting Collections: Transforming the PreK - 5 Math Classroom is the perfect book for you and your students.
Understanding the Math We Teach and How to Teach It, K-8
9781625313355Regular price $108.00 Sale price $81.00 Save $27.00
- Comprehensive and Readable: Dr. Small helps all teachers deepen their content knowledge by illustrating core mathematical themes with sample problems, clear visuals, and plain language
- Big Focus on Student Thinking: The book's tools, models. and discussion questions are designed to understand student thinking and nudge it forward. Particularly popular features include charts listing common student misconceptions and ways to address them, a table of suggested manipulatives for each topic, and a list of related children's book
- Implementing Standards That Make Sense: By focusing on key mathematics principles, Understanding the Math We Teach and How to Teach It, K-8 helps to explain the "whys" of state standards and provides teachers with a deeper understanding of number sense, operations, algebraic thinking, geometry, and other critical topics
Dr. Small, a former dean with more than 40 years in the field, conceived the book as an essential guide for teachers throughout their career: "Many teachers who teach at the K-8 level have not had the luxury of specialist training in mathematics, yet they are expected to teach an increasingly sophisticated curriculum to an increasingly diverse student population in a climate where there are heightened public expectations. They deserve help."
Number Sense Routines
9781625310880Regular price $37.33 Sale price $28.00 Save $9.33
Consistent, Daily Routines Work: Adaptable to any curriculum, Shumway's 5, 10, or 15 minute warm-up routines are an easy and effective way to build and solidify students' number sense foundations as a supplement to any program
Planning and Facilitating Your Classroom: No matter how familiar the routine, Shumway provides insight on how to keep daily warm-ups fresh. She reveals careful thinking and planning that goes into each routine and offers detailed vignettes and dialogues of how they unfold in real classrooms
Assessment Strategies: As students engage in the process, each routine becomes an exciting opportunity to gain insight into where they are in their understanding and help students articulate their mathematical thinking
Identify Big Ideas: Not only will these math routines help develop students’ mathematical understanding as they move towards using standard algorithms, but teachers will learn to better recognize the big ideas that emerge in discussions, how to encourage important strategies based in number sense, and how to facilitate conversations on key mathematical concepts.
“These routines may appear in other places, [but] I have never seen them written in such detail and with so many variations.. . .. Although she makes what she does sound easy, we all know that teaching math well is anything but easy. It is challenging and complex. Unpacking what students are saying, helping them make connections not only to the math but to each other’s ideas, while simultaneously recording their ideas using mathematical models, visuals, or equations is no easy task. Jessica provides wonderful visuals, examples of student work, and so much more to help educators develop the tools they need to improve their practice and in so doing improve student learning.”
– From the Foreword by math coach and consultant Lucy West