You may also like
Nourishing Caregiver Collaborations
9781625316196Regular price $39.00 Sale price $29.00 Save $10.00
Establishing this work in holistic teaching—a pedagogical mindset that affirms the importance of loving the whole child through compassionate, collective care—Qarooni explores five critical literacy tenets by highlighting opportunities to listen for, honor, connect to, and elevate family strengths while inviting them even further into our shared work and encouraging reflection around:
- Recognizing the journey of process,
- Celebrating the role collaboration plays within the collective
- Using observational literacy to read the world
- Advocating for the power of talk to grow ideas and connect with others
- Giving children choice to make self-directed decisions
With moments of memoir woven in alongside diverse family examples and classroom stories connected to realistic instructional practices, Qarooni shows how all families contribute meaningfully to their children’s literacy lives. Discover how we can tap into those vast wells to support learning at home and in school while building positive, reciprocal relationships across both settings.
With an afterword by En Comunidad authors, Carla España and Luz Yadira Herrera, Nourishing Caregiver Collaborations is rooted in the simple truth that we cannot separate knowing our students from knowing their home, communities, and the people that they love. This book offers a toolkit for connecting with families and elevating the intrinsic strengths that reside in every child’s home.
A Year for the Books
9781625315670Regular price $42.95 Sale price $32.00 Save $10.95
Starting with the first few weeks of school, each chapter highlights multiple ways to embed literacy experiences across the entire year that prioritize learners and literacy. To support you in your decision making, the classroom-tested ideas in each chapter are arranged around five grounding principles:
- Actionable strategies for launching and sustaining a vibrant reading culture
- Clear processes to define and communicate community beliefs
- Creative structures for establishing and maintaining reading routines
- Innovative ideas for cultivating an inclusive reading community
- Equitable techniques for partnering with families and caregivers
Whether you’re a novice or seasoned educator, you’ll want A Year for the Books by your side as you advocate for your student readers and promote independent reading in your classroom all year long.
We're Gonna Keep On Talking
9781625315755Regular price $36.00 Sale price $27.00 Save $9.00
And how can we build classroom communities that encourage these meaningful conversations about race?
Matthew Kay and Jennifer Orr take on these questions and more in We’re Gonna Keep On Talking: How to Lead Meaningful Race Conversations in the Elementary Classroom. A companion work to Kay’s Not Light, But Fire, this book focuses on the unique and powerful role discussions about race can play in the elementary classroom.
Drawing its title inspiration from the lyrics of the freedom song “Ain’t Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Around,” sung by hundreds of children marching against segregation in what came to be known as the Children’s Crusade of 1963, We’re Gonna Keep On Talking is written for teachers who are willing to match children’s courage and brilliance, and who believe that “a foundation in meaningful race discourse will help [children] to seek justice for themselves and their neighbors, to be kinder, [and] more thoughtful.”
Writing with the humility and honest storytelling of two career classroom teachers, Matthew Kay and Jennifer Orr share:
- Strategies for building safe and supportive classroom and school spaces for productive discourse
- Dozens of practical teacher moves for facilitating race conversations
- Classroom stories that allow readers to envision ways into the work through picture books, art, graphs, historical photographs, and current events
- Tips for aligning the work of race conversations to your grade-level standards
6 Tools for Collaborative Mathematics Coaching
9781625313843Regular price $40.00 Sale price $30.00 Save $10.00
- Building Teams: Fostering a Learning Community
- Student Interviews: Learning to Listen
- Visiting Classrooms: Developing Your Lens
- Learning Walks: Focusing the Team on Students’ Thinking
- Rehearsing Routines: Practicing with Colleagues
- Lesson Study: Learning Collectively with Voice, Choice, and Agency
In this easy-to-use, practical guide, Placa introduces each of the 6 Tools with classroom vignettes, step-by-step guidelines for rollout, connections to the literature, resources for further research, planning templates, and opportunities for you to adapt the tool for your particular context.
Whether you're a new coach who loves teaching math to children but is new to adult education, or a more experienced coach who is looking for new strategies to engage your teams, 6 Tools for Collaborative Mathematics Coaching can help you create learning opportunities that honor teachers as professionals. With a collaborative coaching approach, you can improve teaching and learning across your school and for all your students.
"There’s so much to love about how 6 Tools is constructed." --Elham Kazemi
Better Book Clubs
9781625313928Regular price $37.33 Sale price $28.00 Save $9.33
- Structures, teaching methods, and routines that support authenticity and independence in book clubs
- Suggestions for starting, scaffolding, and sustaining effective, student-centered book clubs
- Tips for listening in on clubs as a way to assess academic talk and text understanding
- Methods for moving from observation into instruction that improves conversation and comprehension
- Touchstone anchor charts and sample lessons for launching and maintaining strong clubs at a variety of independence levels